Help for AUC a Unit-base Calculator
What is this?
- An easy-to-use dimensional unit-based conversion program from Black Pearl Computing Ltd. Whether you are working with area, length, or time dimensions or whether you need to determine the exact mass, angle, electrical current or intensity of a particular unit, this is the program for you. Miles are quickly and easily converted to kilometers, pounds to kilograms, lightyears to years, and degrees to grads within certain specifications determined by the user. With more than 130 recognizable base units in 8 different dimensional areas, AUC becomes an invaluable reference companion.
How do I use AUC as a calculator?
- 1. Enter a Quantity
For example, if you are converting seven and one half miles per hour to meters per second, enter the number 7.5 into this field. Pressing the Tab key will move you from one field to the next.
Valid numbers and signs for this field include:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 + - . e E
2. Enter the From Unit(s)
Enter your original base unit into the From. In our example this would be mile per hour or miles per hour.
You can also use the Unit-Base Builder to create the contents of this field (see below).
The Dimensionality button can be used to provide a dimensional analysis of any units in the From Units field (see below).
3. Enter the To Unit(s)
4. Click the Convert Now Button
Once your specifications have been entered into the appropriate fields click on the CONVERT NOW button to convert your data. The result of your conversion will be returned to your Browser in a few seconds.
Additional Details about Units
If any incorrect data has been entered, an error message will be returned.
Both the singular and plural forms of any unit are acceptable as valid entries (eg. foot, feet, meter and meters are all valid units).
Upper-case or lower-case and mixed-case data may all be entered.
Exponentiation is possible in Vertor through the use of the caret key (^). For example, square kilometers would be entered in the appropriate field as kilometers^2.
The Unit-Base Builder can be used to create (or help create) the contents of both the From Units and the To Units.
To create a unit simply select a prefix (or leave on Select prefix... for none), select a unit, enter an exponent (either plus or minus and without the ^) and then click on the << From button to add this unit to the From Units (or click on To >> to add it to the To Units).
You can add as virtually as many individual base units as you require (up to 255 characters).
How do I use AUC to obtain dimensional analyses for units?
- There are two valuable uses for the Dimensionality button:
It can be used to ensure the entry of compatible data in the convert To or From Units field; and
it may be used to verify or determine the singular or multiple dimensions of any base unit or combination of base units.
To determine the dimensions for a base unit enter the units into the convert To or From field;
Click the corresponding Dimensionality button.
After a few seconds, the dimensional analysis will be returned to your browser.
What prefixes does AUC know?
- EXA, PETA, TERA, GIGA, MEGA, KILO, HECTO, DECA, DECI, CENTI, MILLI, MICRO, NANO, PICO, FEMTO, ATTO.
What Base Units are recognized by AUC?
- ACRE, AMPERE, AMU, ANGSTROM, ARCMINUTE, ARCSECOND, ARE, ATMOSPHERE, BAR, BARN, BARREL, BIOT, BTU, BUSHEL, CABLE, CALORIE, CANDELA, CANDLE, CENTURY, CHAIN, CIRCULARMILL, CORD, COULOMB, CUNIT, CUP, DAY, DECADE, DEGREE, DRAM, DROP, DYNE, ELECTRONVOLT, EON, ERG, FARAD, FARADAY, FATHOM, FEET, FERMI, FLUIDDRAM, FLUIDOUNCE, FOOT, FOOTCANDLE, FOOTLAMBERT, FORTNIGHT, FRANKLIN, FURLONG, GAL, GALLON, GAMMA, GAUSS, GILL, GRAD, GRAIN, GRAM, GRAMFORCE, GRAY, HECTARE, HENRY, HERTZ, HOGSHEAD, HORSEPOWER, HOUR, HUNDREDWEIGHT, INCH, JOULE, KIP, KNOT, LEAGUE, LIGHTYEAR, LITER, LONGTON, LUMEN, LUX, MASSUNIT, MAXWELL, METER, MICRON, MIL, MILE, MILLENIUM, MINUTE, MOLE, MONTH, NAUTICALMILE, NEWTON, OERSTED, OHM, OUNCE, OUNCEFORCE, PARSEC, PASCAL, PHOT, PINT, POISE, POUND, POUNDAL, POUNDFORCE, QUART, QUARTER, RADIAN, REVOLUTION, ROD, SECOND, SIEMEN, SLUG, SPHERE, STERADIAN, STILB, STOKE, STONE, TABLESPOON, TEASPOON, TESLA, TEX, THERM, TON, TONNE, TORR, TROYOUNCE, US.FLUIDOUNCE, US.GALLON, US.PINT, US.QUART, VOLT, WATT, WEBER, WEEK, YARD, YEAR.
Nuts and Bolts information about AUC
- AUC is copyright 1983-2014 by Black Pearl Computing Ltd.
AUC is available for your use 'as is', without any warranty,
expressed or implied, or promise of technical support or future availability. The
program worked as expected during testing but the author disclaims any liability
of any kind for any loss of data, damages, or any consequential effect.